Re: Tests

On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 9:38 AM, Michael Terry <mike@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello!  I'm at UDS this week and Canonical has been talking about new
> acceptance criteria for package updates landing in main and testing
> requirements for projects they write.  This is going to affect the
> Ubuntu packaging work I do on duplicity (as well as the work I do on
> deja-dup).

Make sure you go to dinner with someone that knows their way around!  ;)

> Basically the idea is that there has to be a body of automated
> integration tests before I can accept a new release into Ubuntu.  And
> likely also involve a staging PPA for wider testing.

Very good idea.

> I can also spend more time working on upstream duplicity tests and
> Canonical has offered to run a Jenkins [1] instance, which can run a
> test suite after every commit to duplicity trunk.
>
> A) Ken, would you be interested in a Jenkins instance which would
> notify this mailing list on trunk test failures?

Yes, please!

B) Would it be OK if I send emails to duplicity-talk when I have
> prepared a new update for a development release of Ubuntu asking for
> testing?  This may just involve the same current PPA but in the
> current development release pocket (i.e. right now, the 'precise'
> pocket).  Such a request could be folded into an email announcing the
> new release's availability in the PPA's stable release pockets too
> (which I don't do now, but should).

Fantastic!

> C) I would be interested to start working on expanding the duplicity
> test suite and making more of the current tests require no
> configuration.  I'm assuming such changes would be welcome?

Yes, very welcome!  Plus convert the shells to Python, etc.

> D) I'm going to get more serious about setting up that daily build PPA.

Fantastic news all around.

[1] http://jenkins-ci.org/

This looks interesting.  We could really use something like this.

...Ken