Re: [Question #175163]: What diagnostics are provided by Duplicity?

On 03.11.2011 19:05, David Arnstein wrote:
> Question #175163 on Duplicity changed:
>
> David Arnstein posted a new comment:
> Hello ed.so,
>
> What I am looking for is a reliable indicator for the situation where a
> file should have been backed up, but was not. Typically, this would be a
> problem with user environment, rather than an issue with Duplicity
> itself.
>
> I consider this to be an essential feature for a backup system. I am
> concerned about this because I am aware of at least one other OSS
> project that ignores such errors. The last time I looked, Ubuntu's
> sbackup called tar(1) to do the real work. Sbackup piped both stdout and
> stderr to /dev/null.
>
> Please don't do that to duplicity!

duplicity issues statements like e.g. this, if a file could not be
accessed

Error accessing possibly locked file /srv/www/vhosts/host.net/file

but does not break or exit with an error code.

why don't you just setup a test and check how duplicity behaves if you
make files inaccessible and if the reaction suffices your needs?