Re: [Question #193846]: These backup times seem very excessive

On 23.04.2012 22:30, Kai-Alexander Ude wrote:
> Question #193846 on Duplicity changed:
>
> Kai-Alexander Ude proposed the following answer:
> I installed version 0.6.18 three days ago.
>
> What I did so far:
> - installed 0.6.18 and doing backups (full / incr.) with this version
> -> since upgrade cpu load is never more than 2.00
> -> before upgrade cpu load was about 5 and more

good to hear

> - changed config, gpg options to '--compress-algo=bzip2 --bzip2-compress-level=9'; this config line was commented all the time
> -> waiting for result but ...

remember to try without compression, you also try to leave out
encryption completely --no-encryption for testing purposes, to pinpoint
that gpg might be a problem here

> ... I carfully think since I upgraded to newest version there isn't really an issue (except cpu (over)load). I think there are no problems with duplicity and no probs with harddrive, ram, etc.
> Kenneth could be very right. 1.5 million files are a lot. Mainly small files, mail and a lot of cms webpages.
>
> Currently I configured one duply profile for everything I would like to backup (server config, mail and web).
> Anything else is excluded. Maybe optimizing the backup process could be helpful.
> Are there any experiences with backup processes in connection with duplicity?
> I googled for that but there were only small examples ...

yes try a smaller subset of your data, like 10GB, where duplicity is proven to be performant.

> I will try my best. Try and error :-)
> Thank you for your help and time.
> I'll keep you informed ...

please do.. ede/duply.net