Re: [Question #197908]: Which duplicity files to backup before HDD format and 12.04 reinstall

On 20/05/2012 21:45, Efstratios I. Charitos wrote:
> New question #197908 on Duplicity:
>
> I have an ubuntu 12.04 box and the update from 11.10 did not go that well, so that I am thinking of formatting and reinstalling.I use duplicity to backup a directory to an internal HDD and to amazon S3. My question is, which duplicity  files should I save before my format so that I will be able to continue using the same backup settings and continue my (until now) incremental backups on S3 and internal HDD?
You will just the need the target directory of where you backups are
stored i.e. /media/backup/backup-folder. You can however make a backup
of the cache directories to save time if you are restoring from S3
(depends on the speed of your internet connection).
> Is it OK to save the archive files under /.cache/deja-dup/HASH and /.cache/duplicity/HASE and then restore them in their respective location after the format?
Yes, it's optional.

> Do I need anything else (signatures? settings? config files?)? After the fresh install, will I be able to continue with the incremental backups?

I'm not sure about where the application settings are stored, perhaps
ede or Kenneth can help you out on this one. There is one file I did
find under ~/.gconf/apps/deja-dup but not sure if it will do anything.
Passwords are normally stored in seahorse a.k.a. Passwords and Keys
under the folder ~/.gnupg. Incremental backups should continue, I'm not
sure if the bug still exists with regards to the hostname being
different and deja-dup not willing to proceed on some commands, so keep
that in mind.

I normally just setup deja-dup again if I can't find the settings file.
> Thanks a lot

I hope that helps a bit, apologies if it's brief, hopefully someone can
assist further if you have any further questions.

--
All the best,

Bruce

FSF Member 10674 / The FSF is a charity with a worldwide mission to advance software freedom / Join the Free Software Foundation: http://www.fsf.org/register_form?referrer=10674