Re: [Question #221509]: Roles of the manifest and signature files

On 10.02.2013 12:35, nils wrote:
> New question #221509 on Duplicity:
>
> Good morning,
> I'm using duplciity to perform a backup to S3 and am now considering to use the Amazon Glacier option as this could save quite some money....
>
> I just notided however that if I'd put a rule on the S3 bucket to archive the content to Glacier this will not only affect the data itself but also the manifest and signature files.
>
> So I was wondering whether you could provide me with any information on the role of those files. Specifically I' like to understand under which circumstances duplicity will do a read of those files on the remote side (as this would not longer be possible if the data is archived on Glacier).

just answered it here last year
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/duplicity-talk/2012-12/msg00081.html

make sure your signatures stay available and you should be set. of
course you wont be able to verify/restore without the volumes and their
manifests.