Re: [Question #228855]: Duplicity does not recognize Network down - full backup is not complete

Description changed to:
Hi,

We are using duplicity 0.6.21 on ubuntu 10.04 LTS.
In order to simulate a temp network problem, we restart the network interface during a full backup like this:

#!/bin/bash
echo "Stopping network interface..."
ifconfig eth0 down
echo "...stopped"
echo "Sleep for 30 seconds"
sleep 30
echo "Start network interface..."
ifconfig eth0 up
echo "...started"

Duplicity does not notice that the network was down:
- there are no messages in the duplicity log and
- restoring such a backup shows that the backup is not complete

What is the best practice here? I thought about:
- I am missing something obvious and duplicity does handle this situation
- Monitoring the Network with NRPE
- Using the "verify" option after every full/diff backup, though our backups are huge (up to 700 GByte)

Thanks for your help!
Paul