[Question #250357]: FTP fails from root directory

New question #250357 on Duplicity:

Hi all,
I am not really sure if this is a common problem or only I am experiencing this.
Additionally, I am not sure if this is the correct place to ask for that, but I'll try nonetheless:

I want to use duplicity via FTP. The FTP service is operated by my internet router, which might be not behaving correctly:
After login, I cannot upload files to any subdirectory while I am at the root directory.
1) Say I log in successful. Then "put bla.txt backups/bla.txt" -> permission denied.
2) But first "cd backups" and then "put bla.txt bla.txt" -> successful.
Duplicity with NcFTP seems to be trying it the first way, so I cannot get it working.

Could anyone of you think of a way around this?
Many thanks!

Gobbo

PS, Versions:
Ubuntu Server 12.04