Re: [Question #263472]: taking multiple full backups

On 16.03.2015 16:26, satish kumar wrote:
> Question #263472 on Duplicity changed:

> satish kumar is still having a problem:
> Hi Edso,
>
> My crontabe entry is : */5 * * * * env HOME=/root duply test
> backup_purge_purge-full --force

ok, your doing backups every 5 min

your doing 2 kinds of purges.. choose one of them and stick with it,
either

purge (this purges everything older than time setting, except it is
still needed eg. based on an older full)

 or

purge-full (here you can simply say i always want to keep a number of
fulls and their respective incrementals)

let me suggest to you to verify after backups eg.

duply test backup_verify_purge --force

> I have read the manpage description :  enforcing a full every other time
> via --full-if-older-than <time> , e.g. a full every month:
>
>     duplicity --full-if-older-than 1M
>
> I'm little confused with the command --full-if-older-than , Should I use
> duply test backup --full-if-older-than ?

you already do via your duply conf file ;)

wrt. your test setup and your result:

it sound's perfectly reasonable if you make a backup every 5 min but
advise duplicity to make a full if the last full is older that 15min
that you will end up with 1 full and 2 incr in 15min.. if you disable
the purging this pattern would continue..

understood? ..ede/duply.net