[Question #263976]: High usage of /tmp when downloading signatures file for verification

New question #263976 on Duplicity:

I made a backup of an NTFS partition to an external hard drive, which resulted in a ~60GB archive, and I tried to verify it. After a first successful verification, I tried deleting the backup's local cache folder and verifying again: duplicity tried to download the signatures file back to the local cache. The problem is that this file is apparently generated in /tmp, in a process which requires about twice as much space as the size of the signatures file itself (~1.7GB compared to 835MB). After the process, the signatures file is apparently copied to the local cache and the temporary directory is deleted. The same happens if I run a 'duplicity collection-status'.

Is this intended behaviour? If so, what is the reason for it? Why can't duplicity just copy the signatures file as it is?

This behaviour prevents me from using the fast volatile storage at /tmp, which is too small on my machine, and forces me to indicate an actual folder on a persistent storage, which is then also used for the rest of the verification process.

Here is the output from duplicity (it is translated from Italian, my apologies) and the command I ran.

-----------------

# duplicity verify --no-encryption file:///run/media/marco/SAMSUNG/backups/ /run/media/marco/AA988E87988E522D --name winxp_c

Synchronizing remote metadata into local cache...
Copying duplicity-full-signatures.20150318T105452Z.sigtar.gz into local cache.
Copying duplicity-full.20150318T105452Z.manifest into local cache.
Warning, incomplete backup sets found, probably left from aborted session
Date of last complete backup: Wed Mar 18 11:54:52 2015
Verification completed: 420626 files compared, 0 differences found

My system:
duplicity 0.6.24, Fedora 20, kernel 3.17.8

Thank you.