Re: [Question #273909]: duplicity package license with other backend

edso proposed the following answer:
On 09.11.2015 07:03, zhoukai wrote:
> Description changed to:
> I have coded a patch to support backend with  alicloud archive storage
> service(OAS) and alicloud storage service(OSS).
>
> The patch adjust backend object methods(like _put, _list), and also
> added method like _archive, _inventory to support OAS, so I won't send
> pull request to duplicity branch currently(in the future I will).

ahh ok. still, the earlier you propose a branch, the earlier you will
get feedback from us which decreases the chance you develop into the
incompatibility abyss ;)

> Right now ,   I want some final users to use duplicity backup there data
> into OAS/OSS,  to make them easy to install , I want to make deb
> package, brew package(for mac), rpms for them.

ok

> My question is  if I can use duplicity source(0.7.5) code with my patch
> to build a package named like 'adup'(to avoid conflict with  the current
> duplicity released) to gnu packages source or homebrew?

of course, you have all the rights the GPL2 grants. be aware that "your"
fork will of course miss future bug fixes and updates.

> Or if I can create a python package in pypi with a name like 'adup',
> then users maully install the dependent packages and adup python package
> to use duplicity.

whatever floats your boat.

> I didn't find the place to put my patch , so if needed patch , I can
> send email or paste all in this board.
>
> Thank You All to answers my question. Waiting your help.

if at all possible, register with launchpad.net and push a branch.

You received this question notification because your team duplicity-team
is an answer contact for Duplicity.