Re: [Question #288636]: Lost signatures?

edso posted a new comment:
On 17.04.2016 23:07, Mark Grandi wrote:
> Question #288636 on Duplicity changed:
>
> Mark Grandi posted a new comment:
> Hi there,
>
> I am the person mentioned in post #3. I currently have a patch that
> 'sorta hacks' around the problem, but is not really the best solution.
>
> The basis of the problem is that the signature and manifest files are
> using the wrong method, where its trying to just 'rename' file files ,
> but if the destination is on a different filesystem, the rename fails,
> because it does not make sense to rename a file so it appears on a
> different filesystem
>
> I also had problems where the remote filesystem (in my case, mounted
> through AFP), it doesn't support setting some filesystem attributes, so
> one of the Path methods tries to set the user/mtime/atime/whatever
> attributes on the file, but the kernel doesn't allow that, so it throws
> an exception and fails the whole backup, which is highly annoying
> because it occurs at the very end.
>
> I'll try to clean up this patch and submit it to the powers that be, and
> we can fix this issue for all.

your earlier patch seemed like a good start. maybe you push that for a start for Kenneth to merge and come up with a more detailed solution later?

> Honestly, duplicity needs to use pathlib or some other dedicated path
> library, since there are a ton of bugs related to this stuff, and it
> would make it work on windows as well.

pathlib seems to be new in python 3.4 . seeing that for the foreseeable
we should run w/ older pythons incl. 2.7's you should look for
alternatives. i don't see a reason why plain python filesystem support
shouldn't support for our basic needs. failing to permissions or such
can be easily made reported but no failing point.

there was a windows port branch once that never made it into mainline
 https://code.launchpad.net/~kevinoid/duplicity/windows-port
maybe you can draw some ideas from that?

You received this question notification because your team duplicity-team
is an answer contact for Duplicity.