[Question #294800]: verify --compare-data behaviour

New question #294800 on Duplicity:

I was reading the source code and I don't quite understand the --compare-data flag for duplicity.

As far as I can tell:

1. globals.compare_data is set by the command line flag in duplicity/commandline.py
2. verify is called, which calls compare_verbose(..., globals.compare_data) in bin/duplicity
3. compare_verbose is called with include_data = globals.compare_data. It checks if include_data is False, immediately returning True (verify is successful?) if it is the case.

My questions:

1. Does verify do anything without --compare-data? My tests with -v9 suggest it does, as it seems to pull the data down from remote (BackBlaze B2 in this case).
2. Is there any way to make duplicity do some sort of signature/meta data verification only without pulling down the whole archive? If i want to do that every day it will become very expensive with a provider like B2.

--
You received this question notification because your team duplicity-team
is an answer contact for Duplicity.