Re: [Question #294800]: verify --compare-data behaviour

On 03.06.2016 01:52, Shuhao wrote:
> New question #294800 on Duplicity:
>
> I was reading the source code and I don't quite understand the --compare-data flag for duplicity.
>
> As far as I can tell:
>
> 1. globals.compare_data is set by the command line flag in duplicity/commandline.py
> 2. verify is called, which calls compare_verbose(..., globals.compare_data) in bin/duplicity
> 3. compare_verbose is called with include_data = globals.compare_data. It checks if include_data is False, immediately returning True (verify is successful?) if it is the case.
>
> My questions:
>
> 1. Does verify do anything without --compare-data? My tests with -v9 suggest it does, as it seems to pull the data down from remote (BackBlaze B2 in this case).

yes, it restores file by file locally to a temp location essentially
checking if the volumes can be restored flawlessly

> 2. Is there any way to make duplicity do some sort of signature/meta data verification only without pulling down the whole archive? If i want to do that every day it will become very expensive with a provider like B2.

nope. the concept of duplicity to have dumb backends. all logic happens
locally and to verify the volumes have to be retrieved again for checkup
;)

You received this question notification because your team duplicity-team
is an answer contact for Duplicity.