Re: [Question #294946]: How do I create a debian package from the source code?

Frank Michler is still having a problem:
I wanted complie it from source and use it on a server which is running
on Debian jessie. I didn't want to install developer tools on the
server. I thought compiling it from source on my PC, then making a .deb
package would be the clean way to deploy it to the server.

Lacking a way to create a .deb I endet up was running "setup.py build"
on my machine, then making the whole directory a .tar.gz, unpacking this
on the server, and running "setup.py install" there.

While this worked, I still think this is not the propper way to do it.

I didn't try the stretch and sid packaged, because I thought they wouldn't install on jessie.
And on https://packages.debian.org/jessie-backports/duplicity is not the latest version.

Is there an automated way to create the .deb packages? Or do the Debian
maintainers craft these by hand, or in a very special build environment?

Part of the motivation was that maybe in the future I might want to
change something in the code, and then want to use that very same
version on several machines.

--
You received this question notification because your team duplicity-team
is an answer contact for Duplicity.