[Question #687232]: S3 Bucket Name Credentials Problem on CentOS 7

New question #687232 on Duplicity:

I'm trying to set up Duplicity (0.7.19)  to back up to S3 from a CentOS7 machine running Python 2.7.5.

In our setup, ported from Centos 6, duplicity is failing with
    ssl.CertificateError: hostname 'duplicity.interactive.co.uk.s3.amazonaws.com.s3.amazonaws.com' doesn't match either of '*.s3.amazonaws.com', 's3.amazonaws.com'

This seems to be caused by an upgrade to Boto, the python interface to S3 (https://github.com/boto/boto/issues/2836), which now gets confused by bucket names that contain a ".".  Trick is, this is Amazon's suggested/preferred naming convention.

The recommended solution is to add a line to /etc/boto.conf.  So I created the file with the necessary line, and now when I call boto from a trivial test script, it responds to the config file, and all is well.   But it does NOT cure the problem running duplicity, where boto still dies with the ssl.CertificateError.

Can anyone shed any light?
Why is boto ignoring its configuration file when it is invoked from within duplicity?
How CAN I get Duplicity to interact with an S3 bucket that uses Amazon's recommended naming scheme?

--
You received this question notification because your team duplicity-team
is an answer contact for Duplicity.

Follow ups