Re: [Question #687232]: S3 Bucket Name Credentials Problem on CentOS 7

On 18.12.2019 12:52, Robert Inder wrote:
> New question #687232 on Duplicity:
>
> I'm trying to set up Duplicity (0.7.19)  to back up to S3 from a CentOS7 machine running Python 2.7.5.

there is a brand new spanky boto3 support in duplicity 0.8.08 (use boto3+s3:// as schema). that is the current duplicity version. should still run with python2.7 although python3 is suggested .

> In our setup, ported from Centos 6, duplicity is failing with
>     ssl.CertificateError: hostname 'duplicity.interactive.co.uk.s3.amazonaws.com.s3.amazonaws.com' doesn't match either of '*.s3.amazonaws.com', 's3.amazonaws.com'
>
> This seems to be caused by an upgrade to Boto, the python interface to S3 (https://github.com/boto/boto/issues/2836), which now gets confused by bucket names that contain a ".".  Trick is, this is Amazon's suggested/preferred naming convention.
>
> The recommended solution is to add a line to /etc/boto.conf.  So I created the file with the necessary line, and now when I call boto from a trivial test script, it responds to the config file, and all is well.   But it does NOT cure the problem running duplicity, where boto still dies with the ssl.CertificateError.
>
> Can anyone shed any light?
> Why is boto ignoring its configuration file when it is invoked from within duplicity?
> How CAN I get Duplicity to interact with an S3 bucket that uses Amazon's recommended naming scheme?

try setting env var BOTO_CONFIG as described here
http://docs.pythonboto.org/en/latest/boto_config_tut.html