Python 3 and backends

Hello Kenneth,

What is the current status of our backend support on Python 3?

I have seen quite a lot of fixes in the changelog and I see that some of the Ubuntu folks are finding and patching Python 3 issues, but was interested in your view of the current status.

Given the impending EOL of Python 2, it would be nice for us to move to Python 3 by default. I remember hitting some backend issues with Python 3 (from memory some of our backends were Python 2 only) when I was trying to make a Python 3 version of the snapcraft.yaml. It looks like the snap is still currently based on Python 2.

At least with snaps we have a bit more control over the transition and timing, independent of when distros grab their snapshots.

Kind regards,

Aaron

Follow ups