ecryptfs-devel team mailing list archive

testcases

Hi,

It was suggested (URL) that we should look at the phoronix testsuite for
testing ecryptfs.  Phoronix very nicely automates the installation and running
of many benchmarks.  It doesn't however appear to have any actual correctness
tests.  It may be worth it to do periodic tests comparing some tests like fio
and dbench (both of which phoronix supports) with and without ecryptfs.
However, these sorts of tests would be harder to use since we can't
meaningfully run them on VMs.

The posix test suite, AIUI, tests other kernel features like shm, but
does not test proper posix file behavior.

The LTP testsuite is one we sould look at.  The fs testsuite has a set of
both fs stress tests (like growfiles) and correctness tests (like inode01).

We also could write some testcases of our own.  I've started a list of
potential tests at http://wiki.ubuntu.com/ecryptfs-tests.  Please feel
free to add entries.  Perhaps at the next UDS we can have a session
going over the accumulated list, prioritizing, and setting a definite
implementation plan.  ("i.e. serge, go code it, based on ltp" :)

My own recommendation would be that we start by writing a wrapper which
fetches ltp and runs the fs testsuite on ext4 and ecryptfs-on-ext4.  I'll
happily script that and package the script as ecryptfs-testsuite.  Then
we can move on to writing some of our own testcases.

How does that sound to people?  If you feel phoronix testsuite should
also be done, then I'd like to hear from someone who can volunteer some
bare metal, long term, for repeated tests.

thanks,
-serge

Follow ups