ecryptfs-devel team mailing list archive

Re: testcases

On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 12:32 PM, Serge E. Hallyn
<serge.hallyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> It was suggested (URL) that we should look at the phoronix testsuite for
> testing ecryptfs.  Phoronix very nicely automates the installation and running
> of many benchmarks.  It doesn't however appear to have any actual correctness
> tests.  It may be worth it to do periodic tests comparing some tests like fio
> and dbench (both of which phoronix supports) with and without ecryptfs.
> However, these sorts of tests would be harder to use since we can't
> meaningfully run them on VMs.
>
> The posix test suite, AIUI, tests other kernel features like shm, but
> does not test proper posix file behavior.
>
> The LTP testsuite is one we sould look at.  The fs testsuite has a set of
> both fs stress tests (like growfiles) and correctness tests (like inode01).
>
> We also could write some testcases of our own.  I've started a list of
> potential tests at http://wiki.ubuntu.com/ecryptfs-tests.  Please feel
> free to add entries.  Perhaps at the next UDS we can have a session
> going over the accumulated list, prioritizing, and setting a definite
> implementation plan.  ("i.e. serge, go code it, based on ltp" :)
>
> My own recommendation would be that we start by writing a wrapper which
> fetches ltp and runs the fs testsuite on ext4 and ecryptfs-on-ext4.  I'll
> happily script that and package the script as ecryptfs-testsuite.  Then
> we can move on to writing some of our own testcases.
>
> How does that sound to people?  If you feel phoronix testsuite should
> also be done, then I'd like to hear from someone who can volunteer some
> bare metal, long term, for repeated tests.

+1 for automated testing, of course.  Phoronix is good for long term
benchmarking, noticing major regressions, etc.  But
functional/correctness testing is more important to me as a user and
one of the maintainers.

See the end of the ecryptfs-setup-private script for a very basic set
of read/write correctness tests.  We should extend that concept,
reading and writing tens of thousands of files, large and small,
hundreds of megabytes, and also dig through dmesg and the logs looking
for ecryptfs errors, as those are starting to creep up more and more.

--
:-Dustin

Dustin Kirkland
Ubuntu Core Developer