ecryptfs-users team mailing list archive

Fw: Re:Recovering Files From eCryptfs Encrypted Home

I decided to reinstall ubuntu studio with an encrypted home folder and
I couldn't get back to my data. I know my password and I don't know what to do since I can't tell what is
wrong with either the source or destination folder is the problem. That might be all the help I need. I'm
trying to do this with a 9.10 live install cd. The size of the
partition is 136gb, the size of the content in the home folder is 87gb.

First, I tried the command
"ecryptfs-mount-private" and received in return "ERROR: Encrypted
private directory is not setup properly." I tried "login robo" and
I'm quite certain what my password was before, it tells me "login
incorrect."

I tried this technique also found at:

http://www.kaijanmaki.net/blog/2009/10/26/recovering-files-from-ecryptfs-encrypted-home/

 but got this message:

Not adding sig to user sig cache file;
continuing with mount.

Error mounting eCryptfs: [-2] No such
file or directory

Check your system logs; visit
<http://launchpad.net/ecryptfs>

I have no clue what to do or how to tell if the source and destination folder are accurate. What type of system log checks can I do, I'm rather newbish and would greatly appreciate a hand here. I've verified that the OldHome and OldPrivate exist. What else can I do? Should I break up my 20gb partition for my OS and install 9.10 with a home folder so I can reboot as was potentially necessary in the link above?

Thanks,

Jason Robo

"Revolution is a serious thing, the most serious thing about a revolutionary's life. When one commits oneself to the struggle, it must be for a lifetime."

Angela Davis

STATEMENT OF CONFIDENTIALITY

The information contained in this electronic message and any attachments may contain confidential or privileged information intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message and any attachments. In accordance with Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C.§§ 2510-2521.