ecryptfs-users team mailing list archive

Remote encrypted backups with ecryptfs, rsync, rdiff-backup & ssh?

Hi,

I'd like to create encrypted backups onto a remote server in such a
way that the remote server never sees anything unencrypted. The idea
would be to sync my home directory onto a local drive (using rsync or
rdiff-backup) into a directory that gets encrypted by ecryptfs, then
rsync that encrypted directory up to a remote server via ssh:

(A) Simple mirror:

  % sudo mount -t ecryptfs /drive/encrypt /drive/decrypt
  % rsync -av --delete /home/john /drive/decrypt
  % sudo umount -i /drive/decrypt
  % rsync -av --delete -e ssh /drive/encrypt user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx:/backup

(B) Mirror with increments using rdiff-backup:

  % sudo mount -t ecryptfs /drive/encrypt /drive/decrypt
  % rdiff-backup /home/john /drive/decrypt
  % sudo umount -i /drive/decrypt
  % rsync -av --delete -e ssh /drive/encrypt user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx:/backup

(C) Use sshfs to mount the remote encrypted backup & decrypt it locally:

  % sshfs user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx:backup /remote-encrypt
  % sudo mount -t ecryptfs /remote-encrypt /remote-decrypt
  % cd /remote-decrypt

How well would any of these scenarios work with ecryptfs?
Would enabling filename encryption be a viable option?

Thanks for any help,

John

--
John Magolske