ecryptfs-users team mailing list archive

Re: Remote encrypted backups with ecryptfs, rsync, rdiff-backup & ssh?

On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 8:32 PM, John Magolske <listmail@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'd like to create encrypted backups onto a remote server in such a
> way that the remote server never sees anything unencrypted. The idea
> would be to sync my home directory onto a local drive (using rsync or
> rdiff-backup) into a directory that gets encrypted by ecryptfs, then
> rsync that encrypted directory up to a remote server via ssh:

Hi John,

Your examples would work.

However, it can be much simpler than that if you're using an eCryptfs
encrypted home director.

In that case, you just need:
 $ rsync -aP $HOME/.Private/ example.com:/srv/backup/

All of the data in .Private is already encrypted.  No decrypted
information (or keys) would ever end up on the backup server.  This is
exactly what I do, FWIW.

Cheers,
--
:-Dustin