Re: Language Guidelines

Am 01.12.2011 18:17, schrieb David Gomes:
I said "use formal German, it's more professional", but perhaps we
need more specific language guidelines.

What do you think?

The topic is very language specific. To me it doesn't make sense to define at the level of the platform. Language teams should handle it.

Consider that German has syntactically analogous words for "you" and "though" as French. But for example in email context you don't use the formal pronouns in the same context. Now think of Japanese or Korean which have even more fine-grained semantics.

Another point is that if you actually wanted to define use of formality, you'd have to review and replace localizations in all packages shipped.