Widget Discussion: TransientContentBar

I've been looking at some UI paradigms lately, and one I see used
frequently is some sort of transient bar used when viewing visually-rich
content. Take out your mobile platform of choice. View a video. See that
bar that has some controls on it? That's what I'm talking about.

We already have a similar UI element being used in Audience. I was
wondering if it would make sense to reuse this widget in other apps. Harvey
made a mockup of a slick little image viewer that used a similar UI
element: http://goo.gl/IGAxf. Even if it's not proposed for Granite, I
think making this a prepackaged widget could be really useful; we could
predetermine some of the look and behavior (exact transparency, timing and
animation for the slide-out/in, showing for a few seconds then sliding
away, etc.).

What are your thoughts?

Regards,
Cassidy James