Re: Luna beta 1 can be here...

I've just realized this was not sent to the list, so I'm re-sending the
message.

One thing I'd want to see done before beta is cleaning up the mess which
Switchboard and GNOME Control Center integration is. The code is fine, but
the OS integration is terrible. To fix it, we should:
1) Complete https://bugs.launchpad.net/elementaryos/+bug/1001880 and quit
shipping the .desktop files in the compatibility layer package; pull in
only the relevant panels instead.
2) Quit patching more and more indicators to kill off G-C-C integration -
we still have several left to patch and maintaining the patches is quite a
burden. Indicators only call .desktop files which are way easier to patch
(in fact, already patched by item #1) to use Switchboard's already-in-place
support for opening the plug specified on command line. Patch .desktop
files instead.
I want it to be done before beta because there's no realistic upgrade path
to such changes (introducing an os patch is irreversible until an upstream
update is issued).

OS architect @ elementary