Re: Granite Licenseing

On 2013-01-20 23:50, Duong H. Nguyen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> El 01/19/2013 08:53 PM, Fabian Thoma escribió:
> > Hi Guys,
>
> > it was brought to my attention that the Licensing in Granite is
> > inconsistent and varies between GPL and LGPL, which means
> > commercial projects will not be able to use Granite, so can we
> > please finally move it to full LGPL as we discussed about the
> > Licenses of Libraries ages ago?
>
> For clarification, paid or non-paid applications have nothing to do
> with GPL.  You can *commercially* release any of your GPL-ed products.
>  Also, like the GPL, the LGPL does *not* allow one to make a product
> proprietary, just allow proprietary software to *link* to free (not
> about price) software.
Proprietary and non-GPL applications can use LGPL libraries.

Commerical products are typically not GPL, thus cannot use GPL libraries
by default.

Yes, it is possible to develop commerically and fully GPL. But that's a
minority. If GTK+ were to switch from LGPL to GPL it would cause most
proprietary applications to move to Qt.

ciao,
    Christian