Re: Self-introduction: Michel Alexandre Salim

On 19-03-13 03:18, Michel Alexandre Salim wrote:
> I'm a Fedora project contributor, interested in GTK-based desktops,
> and as such am planning to bring the Elementary desktop to Fedora (if
> there's enough interest, hopefully creating a Fedora "spin" for it,
> joining our KDE, Xfce, LXDE, etc. spins).
>
> I'm starting packaging work of components making up the Luna release,
> and am looking forward to hearing your feedback and suggestions as I
> proceed; I'll be submitting bug reports on Launchpad as I find them
> (e.g. https://bugs.launchpad.net/granite/+bug/1156961 on Granite
> licensing)
>
> Quick question: does the Elementary Dock have a hard dependency on
> Unity? It's mentioned in the Luna page on the website but I've not
> gotten that far in my packaging, so I can't tell yet if the dependency
> is optional or a requirement.

Dear Michel,

To first quickly answer your question, yes the Pantheon Dock does have
an indirect dependency on libunity (a helper library for instrumenting-
and integrating with all aspects of the Unity shell).

I'm involved in a similar effort as yours, but in this case I'm
packaging the elementary packages for Gentoo Linux, a rolling-release
source-based distribution. You can find the results in my overlay on
https://github.com/pimvullers/elementary.

I did a quick search and found some packages depending on
libunity(-webapps):
 - slingshot (the application launcher)
 - switchboard (the control center)
 - bamf (dependency of pantheon-dock)

I would like to get rid of this dependency, but haven't had time to
investigate this. So for now I just also packaged libunity(-webapps).

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Pim Vullers