The future of appcenter

Hi all,
first of all I want to congratulate Mefrio (which I don't know his real
name) for the good work on the AppCenter.

>From my point of view the AppCenter should be completely online, like all
the others appstore, like Play from google, (they have even the webversion
which is fast so I don't see why it should be fast in an app).
So what we can do it's make it completely online, so you will load
everything from a server and if you don't have connection you can't see
anything.

Or an other alternative it's to keep it like now and in the single view
(the one of the app that you want to install) load the reviews, images etc
in background. This could be good but You still have to synchronize with
new apps. and what about the apps that you need to pay? those ones may not
be on the repositories so you don't see them. Another solution could be
that on the load of the AppCenter you download those app and update the
local dabase.

Which one is the best solution for you?

I was thinking on an implementation of the AppCenter Server with a
Couchbase server. I don't know if anyone used it before but it's a NoSQL DB
born from the fusion between CouchDB and Memcached. The db stores the data
in JSON, which is good because it has already an API by default for any
"table"/"view" that you create (
http://www.couchbase.com/docs/couchbase-manual-2.0/couchbase-views-querying-rest-api.html
) and
the scaling is just amazing, you just add more servers and does everything
on its own, just incredible to see. I could implement it (even in my
server, since I know that the server at the moment is not very powerful)
and do a test, we could easily implement a web interface for it with the
webteam and we could work with mefrio to implement it in the appcenter in a
way that we all agree.

The AppCenter will need just to call the APIs that are already provided so
we don't have to do any extra effort implementing APIs.

I hope to get some feedback on this.

Goncalo "DevAlien" Margalho

Follow ups