Re: Message via your Google Profile: Question about development

Hi Dave,

I'm actually not a desktop developer, but I'm very involved with the people
who are. In fact, I've gone ahead and CC'd the elementary Developer
Community mailing list on this reply. ;)

elementary uses Vala <https://live.gnome.org/Vala> as our primary
programming language and our apps utilize GTK+ <http://www.gtk.org/> as our
toolkit. You can check out what sorts of other technologies we utilize
here<http://elementaryos.org/developer/tech>
.

One cool thing we're working on is an official developer guide. We don't
have a ton of it completed at this point, but what we do have is available
on a preview of our new website
here<http://master.elementaryos.org/docs/read/code>.
We're actually actively writing it over the next few days, so you might be
able to get started and keep up with us as it's written. So far, it covers
setting up a simple hello world project, introduces how we do distributed
development, and talks about packaging your apps up for other users. (There
is also an older massive community-written developer guide draft, but it
gets pretty confusing. We're using bits and pieces of it as a reference for
the official one, so you're better off just using the official one.)

Lastly, feel free to keep in touch with our developers! You can join the
mailing list <https://launchpad.net/~elementary-dev-community> (bottom-left
of that page) and/or join us via IRC in #elementary-dev on irc.freenode.net.
We're always happy to see new faces and help people along.

Regards,
Cassidy James