Re: elementary, ubuntu, and debian

There are a few issues (these are all relevant to Sid or Jessie, and not necessarily Wheezy):

* systemd dependency: gnome[-settings-daemon] recently started to depend on systemd (in Debian, upstream still has CK, etcetera code as an option), and elementary's dependence on GNOME and gnome session has led to an inheritance of this dependency. So the user must switch to a non-default init, or install a patched gnome-settings-daemon, or use the half working systemd-shim package.

* libunity9 dependency: Pantheon uses libunity for a lot of things, and it is not available in Debian. I do not understand how feasible it would be to package in Debian, but seeing how a lot of elementary software uses libunity, I think we should encourage the packaging of it, instead of a patching out of the dependency.

* gtk theming: gtk has some patches in Ubuntu, so you can not get a consistent experience between Ubuntu and Debian gtk. Sid does not have GTK+ 3.10, and the version (3.10) in experimental seems to break a lot of things. It looks like the Debian GNOME team is looking to move to GNOME 3.12 (when it is released) for Jessie, but that has yet to happen.

* indicators(!) : they all need to be packaged for Debian. Not too hard, but a little work. Furthermore, they need to be started manually (they are no longer dbus activated services). Unity starts them through Upstart jobs, but one can start them via systemd.service's, through gnome-session (probably), with kdestart, or with Cerbere (I think). - Using Upstart as a session init will be problematic for distros without Upstart packaged or distros with an older or poor version of Upstart. Because Upstart can be run as a session init without Upstart being PID 1, there is no problem for distros that use sysvinit, BSD init, OpenRC, or systemd as the system init, but have Upstart packaged in the repositories. Debian has good support for Upstart in Sid, but it is unknown how well Upstart will be maintained if the debian ctte decides for a systemd default. - Using systemd as a session init to start the indicators is problematic for distros that do not use systemd as the default init. For systemd to function as a session init, it forces the system init to be systemd as well. If the debian ctte decides to use systemd as the default init, then this option would be a better idea (although on Gentoo or, more importantly, Ubuntu there is going to be different behaviour). - Using gnome-session (or kdestart, but that is not really an option) is problematic because GNOME (and KDE) are moving towards using systemd as a session init, and gnome-session may become unmaintained (or poorly maintained) in the future. - Cerbere could probably get the job done, but it is weak, and eventually we may want to leverage Upstart or systemd as a session init. essentially, indicators need to be started by something. I believe it would be best to use Cerbere or gnome-session for now, but switch to using Upstart as an advanced session init if Debian chooses it as the default init, or systemd if there are no concerns about distros that do not use systemd as PID 1 (currently, Gentoo, Debian, and Slackware). I personally have concerns, but it is up to you guys to decide.

Hope this helps,
Cameron Norman