elementary-i18n team mailing list archive

Fwd: elementary OS: Internationalization Feedback

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: MinSik CHO <mscho527@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 2016-06-23 19:49 GMT+04:00
Subject: Re: elementary OS: Internationalization Feedback
To: Leonardo Lemos <leonardo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hello, thanks for reaching out to improve internationalization of
elementary project.
More and more users from Korea are showing interest in elementary, so
localization of the project has becoming more and more important.
Regarding the questions you have asked, I have answered them below by each
inquiries:

1. How does your keyboard layout work in your language?
This part is a quite hard one in CJKV languages
(Chinese-Japanese-Korean-Vietnamese). These four languages do not use
Latin-style alphabets and need special IME or plugins for language input.
The hardware layout of Korean is same as QWERTY (US style) keyboard, but
the Right Alt-key is substituted into Korean/English toggle key. If Korean
is toggled using this button, Linux distros usually use 'input method
plugins' such as ibus, nabi, uim to process the input.
These, however, has proven to be insufficient for widespread use, as
changes made in Linux distros/packages have cause multiple issues of input
method breakdown. Few Koreans, as I know, thus are developing new input
method plugin to completely solve this issue, but the complete project is
yet to be done.

2. How do you use/type by using your language's keyboard layout?
Most people use the method I have described in Q1. This method is called
'Dubeolsik (두벌식)' and is used for 90%+ of the population. Some, however,
use 'Saebeolsik (세벌식)', and this portion is amazingly high among Linux
users. Regardless of these methods, people commonly use ibus, nabi, or uim
and alter the settings for their taste.

3. Do you have problems with your keyboard layout in elementary OS?
Several programs written in vala has been reported to be unfriendly when
bound with CJKV languages (for ex.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/scratch/+bug/1198794) While workarounds exist
for each bugs, most people aren't willing to switch their favorite input
method (which is for me, nabi and ibus), so they end up installing programs
that are non-elementary apps.

4. Does your language's keyboard layout have specific options for
configuration?
Input methods like ibus, nabi, and uim provide an option to set keys for
Korean/English toggle. Some people use the default from Windows
(Right-Alt), some from Mac (Shift-Space), while others use a combination of
Super Key, Ctrl key, etc.
We also have settings for Hanja key (Chinese Character key), which converts
Korean character into Chinese character when pressed after highlighting
corresponding letter. It is not commonly used among most of the people, but
some old (like born b/4 1980s) still need that feature.

5. How can we improve your experience with your language's keyboard layout?
Well, it is more of an upstream issue from Debian & Ubuntu, as input
methods mess easily with these projects too, but the situation where most
CJKV related bugs in elementary projects are neglected even with bounty
money hinders a wider usages among East Asian Linux fans.

Thanks again for your effort trying to address the issue among
internationalization of the project, and have a nice weekend.

Regards,
MinSik
ᐧ

--

Sent by MinSik CHO
Brown University Class of 2020 (possibly Chemical Physics and/or Applied

Thank You! Have a nice day! 감사합니다! 즐거운 하루되십시오.
MINSIK CHO

--
Leonardo Lemos
---