elementary-i18n team mailing list archive

Fwd: elementary OS: Internationalization Feedback

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jon Stevenson <jon.stevenson@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 2016-06-24 13:30 GMT-03:00
Subject: Re: elementary OS: Internationalization Feedback
To: Leonardo Lemos <leonardo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hello Leonardo,

Thank you for your email seeking feedback. I will give you a brief
description of my daily experience using the international features of
elementary os.

On a daily basis, I type in English, Esperanto, Spanish, and
Portuguese (my four main languages). Less often I type in French,
Italian, German, Russian, and Georgian. I am learning Hebrew right now
as well. I want to learn Chinese.

I like that I can have more than four keyboard layouts active at one
time (this was a limitation I experienced in Linux Mint).

The main problem I have with keyboard layouts in elementary is that
often the selected layout will not stay active and the keyboard will
revert back to the system language (in my case English). Also the
keyboard shortcuts for switching languages ((shift)-alt-space) often
are not saved.

Also I had trouble trying to install chinese support... I tried using
fcitx and it kind of works but not very well.

Other than those things, I am fairly happy with international keyboard
support in elementary os.

Thanks for everything you do!

Jon

On 06/23/2016 08:49 AM, Leonardo Lemos wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My name is Leonardo, I am member of elementary Developers Team.
> I'm contact you to listen your thoughts about Internationalization.
> If you don't mind, I'd like to ask you a few questions:
>
> * How does your keyboard layout works in your language? * How do
> you use/type by using your language's keyboard layout? * Do you
> have problems with your keyboard layout in elementary OS? * Does
> your language's keyboard layout have specific options for
> configuration? * How can we improve your experience with your
> language's keyboard layout?
>
> I'll be waiting for your response.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Leonardo Lemos ------------------------------ elementary Developer

- --
- ---
I use GPG:
fingerprint 76B5 9EFC E37B 4D55 46CF 00E4 7C2F 5FF8 57E2 9E29

--
Leonardo Lemos
---