enterprise-support team mailing list archive

Re: [Question #180789]: setting up Samba for printer sharing

Question #180789 on samba in Ubuntu changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/samba/+question/180789

hagen gave more information on the question:
Thanks Chris, for the very detailed answer!
The procedure you described is in fact one of the things I have been
trying to implement. Unfortunately it was unsuccessful and I'm not sure
where to look to find clues why it did not work.

Your amswer has indicates that I was not entirely on the wrong path,
therefore I'll do the following:
 - revert to the original smb.conf
 - set the Workgroup name as per the Windows machine
 - restart smbd and nmbd
 - try to install the printer.

Actionparsnip suggested that firewalls may play a role. My gut tells me
that the culprit may be on the Windows side. I'll have a look whether I
can find something to set to enable the Linux machine to access the
Windows desktop PC.

I'll let you know what the results are.
Thank you very much for your assistance!!
Regards
Hagen Nieberding

On Saturday, December 03, 2011 10:15 AM, "Chris"
<question180789@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Your question #180789 on samba in Ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/samba/+question/180789

> Chris proposed the following answer:
> I think you're making it needlessly complicated.  The only things you
> need to use a printer on a Windows machine is Samba, the workgroup
> configured in /etc/samba/smb.conf, and the printer installed.  In other
> words it works exactly the same as a Windows machine using a printer
> over a workgroup share.
>
> Samba is already installed, so edit /etc/samba/smb.conf with sudo
> privileges and add the workgroup name correctly.  The line in question
> will already be there and will be something like
>
> workgroup = WORKGROUP_NAME
>
> Obviously, change WORKGROUP_NAME to whatever your Windows workgroup name
> actually is.  If you haven't already done so you'll need to set up the
> workgroup on the Windows machine, however the default workgroup is
> probably just WORKGROUP.  Personally, I like to change it something more
> specific.
>
> Next, restart Samba so it picks up the changed workgroup:
>
> sudo restart smbd
> sudo restart nmbd
>
> Next, open the 'printing' application.  You can find it in system
> settings or press the super key and type "printing"
>
> Install the printer:
>
> Select "Add".  As in add a new printer.
>
> Click on
>
> Network Printer
>    ---> Windows printer via SAMBA
>
> Click on the Workgroup name
>   ---> Click on the Computer name (that's the one with the printer
>   attached to it
>       ---> Click on the printer
>
> If the printer does not show then it's not set up to be shared correctly
> on the Workgroup, or you have not reset the Samba config correctly.
>
> Click the "forward" button and let the system find the list of printer
> drivers available.
> Select the most appropriate driver for your printer.
>
> Finish the install and print a test page.  You'll note that the most
> complicated part of the process is probably installing the printer.
>
> You should now be able to print.  I doubt that the previous setups and
> configs that you've done will will cause you any problems unless you've
> really messed up samba somewhere along the line.  If you have changed
> /etc/samba/smb.conf and have a backup of the original you might want to
> revert to that just in case.
>
> Chris
>
> --
> If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
> know that it is solved:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/samba/+question/180789/+confirm?answer_id=1
>
> If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
> following page to enter your feedback:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/samba/+question/180789
>
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.

Hagen Nieberding
Ph.D. (Ind. Eng.), M.Sc. (Mech. Eng.), Pr.Eng.
Requirements and Evaluation Directorate
Emirates Advanced Research & Technology Holdings (EARTH)
a subsidiary of Emirates Advances Investments
Tel: +971 (0)55 718-2547 (UAE)
Tel: +27 (0)82 823-1516 (South Africa)
Fax: +27 (0)86 651-3594 (South Africa)
The information contained in this communication (including links and attachments) is confidential and may be legally privileged.  It is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and others authorised to receive it. Any review, use, copying, distribution, disclosure or taking action in reliance of the contents of this information by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient (or authorized to receive information for the intended recipient), please contact the sender by reply e-mail and delete all copies of this message. Whilst all reasonable steps are taken to ensure the accuracy and integrity of information and data transmitted electronically and to preserve the confidentiality thereof, no liability or responsibility whatsoever is accepted if information is, for whatever reason, corrupted or does not reach its intended destination.

Ubuntu Server/Client Support Team, which is an answer contact for samba
in Ubuntu.