enterprise-support team mailing list archive

Re: [Question #193980]: winbind4-- where is winbindd?

Question #193980 on samba4 in Ubuntu changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/samba4/+question/193980

Brantley Hobbs proposed the following answer:
Jeff,

Keeping in mind that I'm an average user like yourself......

According to the Samba team, Samba4 has its own built-in implementation
of winbind.  There isn't a stand-alone winbind daemon.

I believe all the windbind4 package does is provide the libnss_winbind
library and a few binaries for winbind querying and maintenance.

If you build Samba4 from scratch, that lib is supposed to be included in
the bundle.  Why is is separated in the Ubuntu (Debian?) packages is
beyond me.

Anyway, when I installed winbind4, wbinfo -p told me that the winbind
service was running.  Unfortunately, it caused Samba to panic however,
essentially rendering it useless.  I still haven't figured out what's
causing this.

Ubuntu Server/Client Support Team, which is an answer contact for samba4
in Ubuntu.