enterprise-ubuntu team mailing list archive

Unwanted updates/staging

Hello,

I wanted to get your opinions/experiences/solutions used for automatic updates.

I guess the 3 most common automatic upgrades approach are:
1. Go with it - install everything from upstream repositories.
2. Delay it - make a set of machines test the updates first before they are deployed everywhere
3. Verify it - go through each update and (dis)approve
4. Abandon it - Linux is secure, why should I update it?
(note I meant 3 are most common, 4th is not ;)

For 10.04 we went with 1. but under the exception that some packages were modified like in 3. For 12.04 we go with 1. - the custom packages are added-on and do not override any package from Ubuntu.

The advantages of 1. are numerous:
1. Security - your systems are always up-to-date and you are unlikely to be behind with security vulnerabilities
2. Low (or no) amount of human intervention required. It just happens.
3. You are free to use any of the official Ubuntu mirrors on the Internet. Company laptops do not need to rely on corporate network to get updates.

The problems we have with 1. are:
1. You never know what's going to happen with the next update, especially if you have custom add-ons to updated software. In some cases you need to adjust your add-ons quickly. By custom add-ons I also mean custom configuration.
2. There is no way to actually block a package that causes issues.

Although Ubuntu provides the -proposed repository where packages that will land in main reside for at least a week (that would be enough for us to either prepare assisting changes or report that the packages causes issues here), we had a number of issues with updates that landed in -security which does not do staging in -proposed. Namely, these were Firefox and Thunderbird.

I did not find a reasonable tool to do 2 or 3. Perhaps Landscape can do it, though I believe some required functionality is in development yet. We have used reprepro for filtering the package updates, but this caused another issue: when people went home, they either had no access to regular packages (no corporate connection) or they got updates from Ubuntu upstream that broke their environment.

So, I was thinking how you approached the topic? Perhaps somebody has their custom Ubuntu repositories (not add-on repositories, I mean the whole ~100GB/distro) on the Internet? Or did you do some tweaks to block updates to specific software before it's tested?

Cheers,
Ballock

Follow ups