enterprise-ubuntu team mailing list archive

Re: Questions: Active Directory integration of linux clients

On 05.12.2012 15:04, Chris Rowson wrote:
I have always found it hard to understand why Canonical just don't include
LDAP/AD authentication as an option out of the box like RedHat do.

I should be able to install an Ubuntu desktop and during setup, it should
ask me whether or not I want to authenticate against a central
authentication source like Active Directory.

Edubuntu is experimenting with this, and I've discussed it with Stephane Graber about what it should look like once implemented "properly" (by modifying user-setup, allowing preseeding et al). Probably not going to happen for 13.04, but maybe the next release and definitely for the next LTS.

Hopefully we'll also have not one, but two full "AD lookalikes" by then: Samba4, which the edubuntu folks are using, and FreeIPA :)