enterprise-ubuntu team mailing list archive

Automated Desktop Installation

Hello everyone

I'm looking for a nice way to set up Ubuntu Desktop on Notebooks for our
Company.

Till now we've been using Fedora and automated installation over PXE
with Cobbler and Kickstart.

We want encryption for /home /tmp /swap. We used full disk encryption
with LVM an luks/cryptsetup.

Fedora uses Anaconda and Kickstart files that make it easy to automate
the full installation process, including disk encryption, package
installation and post-scripts.
We're using a custom firstboot script to set up the user and add his
password to cryptsetup.

I was looking for ways to integrate Ubuntu Desktop Staging into our
existing Cobbler PXE Setup (on CentOS) but I could only find fragments
and not much on 12.04. A lot of the information is incomplete or
outdated (11.10 or earlier)
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/Netboot
http://michaeldehaan.net/post/39496835943/experiences-with-cobbler-deploying-ubuntu-precise

Does Ubuntu save the answers / preseed file when installing manually?
Couldn't find the information on the installed system or during
installation. Fedora generates a kickstart file you can then reuse to
set up other systems.

What do you use/recommend for desktop installation?

It would be great if some more detailed information could be found on
the Enterprise Ubuntu Wiki.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Enterprise/Needs

Our needs:

 - Fully automated
 - Network Boot (PXE)
 - Integration in current Cobbler Setup
 - Encrypted Disk
 - Custom package selection
 - Script to set up printers etc.
 - Firstboot User setup (OEM-Install option?)

Thank you

Philipp Gassmann

Puzzle ITC GmbH
http://www.puzzle.ch