enterprise-ubuntu team mailing list archive

Re: Automated Desktop Installation

Hello, Philipp,

Till now we've been using Fedora and automated installation over PXE
with Cobbler and Kickstart.

I haven't seen it in action but there is some 'kickseed' that can use similar kickstart files as those coming from RedHat. That might be interesting for you if you want to have the same setup for both.

We want encryption for /home /tmp /swap. We used full disk encryption
with LVM an luks/cryptsetup.

Yup, we have the same. As of Ubuntu 12.10 it is possible to achieve it with the graphical installer. Up to 12.04 you needed to use the alternative image and preseeding.

Fedora uses Anaconda and Kickstart files that make it easy to automate
the full installation process, including disk encryption, package
installation and post-scripts.
We're using a custom firstboot script to set up the user and add his
password to cryptsetup.
You can do all of that with preseeding. See:
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/Preseed
I was looking for ways to integrate Ubuntu Desktop Staging into our
existing Cobbler PXE Setup (on CentOS) but I could only find fragments
and not much on 12.04. A lot of the information is incomplete or
outdated (11.10 or earlier)
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/Netboot
http://michaeldehaan.net/post/39496835943/experiences-with-cobbler-deploying-ubuntu-precise
I don't think there is a lot (if any) changes to automated installation between those releases, though it always comes down to details, so it depends.

How do you use Cobbler? What does it actually do in your environment? I have not used it but its web page says it does everything :p

Does Ubuntu save the answers / preseed file when installing manually?

Yes and no. The install-time settings are saved in the debconf database that you can read with debconf-get-selections. However, these are all the settings, and most of them are defaults that you do not need to set anyways. There are also settings that a package sets based on one of the other settings. You actually need to start with the example config and add the answers that pop-up with it.

Couldn't find the information on the installed system or during
installation. Fedora generates a kickstart file you can then reuse to
set up other systems.
True, but it's not the case in the Debian-based world.
What do you use/recommend for desktop installation?
We are using the CD or USB drive mini-iso (~150MB) with preseeding and download all up-to-date packages from the repository server. We use LVM+encryption for partitioning, leaving 25% unallocated so the user can decide if his work conditions require more on / or on /home. We also install our CFEngine agent and provide the rest of the system policies through it upon reboot.

I would be eager to hear what did other people use for their deployments.
It would be great if some more detailed information could be found on
the Enterprise Ubuntu Wiki.
I think it's a good idea. With a certain dose of hammering (or if there is more interest in it) I might actually put something sensible in there. Though, I am just one and I believe this should be more general than just my environment.

I hope this helps. At least a little bit.

Best regards,
Ballock