enterprise-ubuntu team mailing list archive

Re: Desktop virtualization

Oh hey I heard my name :P I'll add my thoughts. It really depends on what
you are looking to do.

Ulteo - As I mentioned in my blog the configuration is a pain in my
experience. I do really enjoy it as a way to put some random windows app
like IE so Linux clients can run it in seamless "portal" mode. It's easier
for users to understand than traditional rdp. However I have had issues
with people who use it all day every day. Seamless rdp is just buggy. Unity
has no idea what is going on with it when used in multi window applications
and that can confuse users when they switch between windows. I ended up
having these few users just use plain rdp. The people who use it once in a
blue moon seem to love it though for the convenience. Ulteo also has a full
desktop mode but I don't use it and can't comment. I also don't use Ulteo
for Linux applications but it can be used for such. I don't think it's
possible to pxe boot directly into a Ulteo desktop environment. You have to
use a web portal.

Proxmox - This is my preferred solution for server virtualization. It's a
gui for KVM and openvz. I minimally trained sys admin can set up a new VM
in minutes with it. I have had times where the GUI doesn't work and I had
to use CLI. Still I like it better than pure CLI. I also found the upgrade
to 2.x unpleasant.

LTSP - Have you considered this? It's not virtualization it's just multi
user Linux. I use it in a computer lab type scenario. I've posted about it
http://davidmburke.com/2012/02/26/computer-lab-on-the-cheap/ The issues it
has (video processing, external devices are hit or miss) are likely going
to be issues with any solution for desktop virtualization. I am also a fool
and don't use a server with a decent GPU made for this sort of thing. If
you need windows apps I suppose you could use seamless RDP or Ulteo in your
LTSP image but I have never tried this. In terms of cheapness LTSP is hard
to beat. It's very easy to maintain. Need a new application for all
clients? apt-get install on the server. Done. Clients don't have to reboot
or anything (maybe they would if they were fat clients?). Initial setup
isn't bad either. I used the edubuntu documentation.