enterprise-ubuntu team mailing list archive

Re: Desktop virtualization

On 16/01/13 06:16 AM, Philipp Gassmann wrote:
There are different Open Source virtualisation technologies. There's
KVM, Xen and Virtualbox.
KVM is state of the art, included in the Linux Kernel and very robust.
Xen is the other big OS Virtualisation technology, but it's no longer
state of the art. Eventhough Oracle/Citrix which build on Xen claim
otherwise-
Virtualbox is another technology developed by Sun and aquired by Oracle.

Out of interest, what's the problem with Xen? I don't use it myself, but I heard that it's in mainline Linux now and no longer requires a dom0. Otherwise it seems like they've improved a huge amount since a few years ago, so I'd find it interesting to see where the regressions are.

-Jonathan