enterprise-ubuntu team mailing list archive

Re: Java 6 discontinued

On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 3:52 PM, Philipp Gassmann <phiphi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> There's this nice ppa, that provides an oracle-java-installer, similar
> to the flashplugin-installer or mstcorefonts.
> It does not provide the java packages itself, but downloads them for you.
> Additionally it updates all the alternatives, so that it is also used.
> http://www.webupd8.org/2012/01/install-oracle-java-jdk-7-in-ubuntu-via.html

You can also make your own Oracle Java packages with make-jpkg from
java-package, which will convert oracle.com downloads into .debs.

Available in Debian, my PPA[0] for Precise, multiverse for some Ubuntu
releases[1].

Downloading from oracle.com doesn't require a browser, there's a
single-cookie trick[2].

[0] https://launchpad.net/~pcarrier/+archive/ppa
[1] http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=java-package
[2] http://ivan-site.com/2012/05/download-oracle-java-jre-jdk-using-a-script/