enterprise-ubuntu team mailing list archive

Re: Automated Desktop Installation

On 15/02/13 09:37, Philipp Gassmann wrote:
> Ballock asked me for some explanation on our Desktop Setup. See
> below for the questions.
>
> The Setup is designed as a one-time setup. Without configuration
> management. There are two scripts. one is executed directly after
> installation, before shutdown. There I add some additional software
> and sources. If an nvidia-graphics card is detected, I install the
> proprietary driver (nvidia-current-updates), by default Ubuntu
> installs the open source nouveau driver and on first login asks for
> installation of additional drivers. The RESOURCES Variable is just
> the first part of the http URL where I download some files. e.g.
> the script 2 or templates, so I can use wget $RESORURCE/script2.sh.
> It is nowhere used in the published script because I replaced the
> URL and removed things like the templates. I'll remove that.
>
> Skript 2: User-setup: Script 2 is a interactive script which runs
> in a X screen where I use zenity for user Input. It is started by a
> custom upstart job which hooks in on "starting-dm" i.e. before
> lightdm (login-screen) is started. The script then launches the X
> Server, and a gnome-terminal on the X screen, which launches the
> same script again with "stage2" as parameter, that's the part with
> the graphical queries.
>
> Disk Encryption: The Preseed file sets a temporary password. And in
> the User Setup script, a Sys-Admin has to enter the default
> password, which is veryfied by the hash. Then the temporary
> password is replaced with the default admin password and the users
> password is added as an additional passphrase. Like that we have
> the same admin password on every machine (for emergency access or
> whatever). I like the Idea of ballock to generate a passphrase and
> upload that to a central server, where it can be looked up if
> needed. How exactly do you do that?

Several people/organisations on this list have written their own tools
to do such a task, there is also a third party toolset which has been
developed for this purpose (amongst others).

http://www.gazzang.com/products/zescrow

Enjoy.

> Cheers, Philipp
>

> Am 15.02.2013 08:58, schrieb Bolesław Tokarski:
>> Hi Philipp,
>>
>> Ok, I can elaborate a bit on this.
>>
>> The seed file and the scripts are working in your company and
>> this is good, as the reader (myself) knows that these actually
>> work fine there.
>>
>> However, what suited your company may not be the best fit for
>> somebody else, so what he (me) does is he tries to read what you
>> achieved and use the parts that apply. I can read shell code, so
>> I am in a good position to find out, but it's not always
>> obvious.
>>
>> For example, as I read Skript 1: ubuntu-desktop-bootstrap.sh I
>> can see a RESOURCES variable definition and this suggests that I
>> should have a webserver running that provides some variables.
>> Later on I see that you install additional gpu and wlan drivers,
>> but I do not know the reason for it. I thought Ubuntu installs
>> the drivers on its own.
>>
>> In Skript 2: ubuntu-desktop-bootstrap-user.sh I come to a halt,
>> as I believe you set up your environment in a X-server window and
>> I can't find a reason for it. I guess that either you are not
>> using central authentication server but set up users manually,
>> manage crypted LVM and/or do some other magic.
>>
>> The environment you describe looks pretty refined, so I would
>> love to read some background/introduction before getting into the
>> actual scripts. The good thing about the scripts is that you put
>> in a lot of comments, so each action is described at least with a
>> minimal comment. I am particularly interested in the HDD password
>> management part, as I know we needed to do a similar tool and
>> upload a backup password to a central server.
>>
>> That put aside, during our phonecall I believe you mentioned
>> someting about you using Puppet for Configuration Management? I
>> found that some of your tweaks we did with CFEngine and I can
>> tell you there is a number of benefits from doing it from a CM
>> instead of from a post-install script.
>>
>> Cheers, Ballock
>>

>> On 02/14/2013 03:42 PM, Philipp Gassmann wrote:
>>> Hi Ballock
>>>
>>> What do you mean by "and I would use some comment on what you
>>> achieved with them. " ?

I removed some specifics, but I kept much possibly useful information

Does Ubuntu save the answers / preseed file when installing manually?

- --

Cheers,
       Dave Russell

Global Sales Engineering Manager
Canonical                       Mobile +44 (0) 787 298 5998
GPG FPR: 050C DFF1 08FC E3E5 FC88  CEDB 65B7 66C7 2C2E DE51