enterprise-ubuntu team mailing list archive

Re: Questions: Rightsmanagement on shares - WIndows vs. Linux

Hello Ballock,

good, that you took the challenge, because I hoped that there are linux
solutions which can compete with Microsofts rights management.

I am not a linux expert, but to compare what file/folder rights are
possible on linux and windows I found for Linux:
        - read, write and execute rights to a specific user, group and for
all other
        - with NFSv3 ACLs additional users can be configured to get
"rwx"-rights, set with "setfacl" (which are listed as "+" if you do "ls
-l")
        - nfs4 can maybe have more possibilities, but as you also wrote,
it is not used, because of incompatibility and complexity of available
solutions

on Windonws NTFS we have the following 13 rights (
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc787794%28v=ws.10%29.aspx)
        - Traverse Folder/Execute File, List Folder/Read Data, Read
Attributes, Read Extended Attributes, Create Files/Write Data, Create
Folders/Append Data, Write Attributes, Write Extended Attributes, Delete
Subfolders and Files, Delete, Read Permissions, Change Permissions, Take
Ownership, Synchronize
and most of them can be accomplished with rights on linux also, but for us
functionalities like
        - rights inheritance on different levels
        - authentication on access (NFSv3 only checks IP/hostname, but
e.g. no kerberos token)
        - right to create or delete subfolder
I could not found this in exiting (besides scripting) solutions for linux
file shares and rights management.

So in a Company with Windows and Linux Clients, an Active Directory, which
linux-based file share rights management could do most access rights as a
Windows NTFS system can?

regards,
Florian Bieber