enterprise-ubuntu team mailing list archive

Re: Questions: Rightsmanagement on shares - WIndows vs. Linux

Hello, Florian,

On 05/21/2013 03:42 PM, florian.bieber@xxxxxxxx wrote:
Hello Ballock,
Hello Timo,

thanks for you replies. I could convince my colleague that "windows is 5 years ahaed in rights managment" is not true.

Very good, let's call it a success :)

But on the other hand, I learned from our discussion that
        NFSv3                is not secure
NFSv4 needs a simple implementation, feasible to set up and used from linux and windows systems

Yeah, it needs a bit of love, for now it's been a love-hate relationship. What do you mean with accessing NFSv4 from Windows systems? I'm not sure about the Microsoft client-side support for NFSv4.

CIFS/SMB file rights can not be changed with linux (tested on Netapp filer)

So we *are* talking about a NetApp filer that is supposed to serve both NFSv4 and CIFS? I don't know the state of setting CIFS ACLs from the client-side (you would generally change permissions on the server), I guess this is something to investigate with Samba. They may have a different tools to modify CIFS ACLs from Linux.

        AFS                seems not have enterprise support

So I will wait until NFSv4 is fully integrated and usable out-of-the-box.

Of course you can wait, if you know what you are waiting for. I see a problem with that, though. If you don't start testing things yourself and reporting that there is a problem (like the one on NetApp's NFSv4 support) you may be waiting forever. These things really need to be reported or otherwise nobody cares.

I have been communicating with Citrix regarding their Receiver for Linux product and they claimed that they very rarely get reports about issues with it. They read it as either not being any problem with the product or no market for the Linux Receiver. Thus they don't fix it. It might be the very same case for NetApps.

Otherwise, as said, NFSv4 server and client run pretty well on Ubuntu 12.04.

Cheers,
Ballock