enterprise-ubuntu team mailing list archive

Handling updates that can change configuration settings

Hey folks,

I wonder how people handle this. A good number of updates show prompts to
the user asking questions beyond their understanding. For example grub or
lightdm. In an enterprise these configurations might be managed. Because
these conf files are different, I get many more of these questions than a
stock Ubuntu install where it's much less of a problem.

My users are non technical and tend to click anything on prompts (including
non default options). This can do damage from breaking authentication to
just users getting worried and contacting IT (which adds to costs)

Fully automated updates done like
this<http://askubuntu.com/questions/146921/how-do-i-apt-get-y-dist-upgrade-without-a-grub-config-prompt>won't
ask questions - but cause instability if the user powers down during
an update. If a user is aware of the update they (hopefully) won't turn the
computer off suddenly.

Puppet mitigates some pain by ensuring configurations are changed back but
users still get prompts that might worry them.

Ideally I'd like update manager to never ask questions under any
circumstance and always use defaults.

Best,
David Burke

Follow ups