enterprise-ubuntu team mailing list archive

VNC Broken in Trusty?

Hi Everyone,

I've been experimenting with Trusty too see what breakage is in store for
us with the new LTS. So far I'm happy to report that my
NFS/Autofs/OpenLDAP/SSSD environment is working as expected.

I'm having some issues with VNC though. It appears gnome-session-fallback
is now a transitional package for gnome-session-flashback and my
.vnc/xstartup from 12.04 no longer works under 14.04.

The logs have:

** (process:19927): WARNING **: software acceleration check failed: Child
process exited with code 1
** (gnome-session:19927): CRITICAL **: We failed, but the fail whale is
dead. Sorry....

My .vnc/xstartup file looks like this:

#!/bin/sh
# Uncomment the following two lines for normal desktop:
unset SESSION_MANAGER
gnome-session --session=gnome-fallback &
[ -x /etc/vnc/xstartup ] && exec /etc/vnc/xstartup
[ -r /u/blkperl/.Xresources ] && xrdb /u/blkperl/.Xresources
xsetroot -solid grey

A quick google search shows others are having the same issues on Saucy. My
Saucy test box also had the same issue.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
William Van Hevelingen