epoptes team mailing list archive

Re: [Question #213734]: NX clients not visible in Epoptes

Question #213734 on Epoptes changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/epoptes/+question/213734

Charles Howardandsware gave more information on the question:
Hello Alkis

Sorry I didn't get back to you last night but it was gone 4am here so I
went to bed somewhat tired of all the reading and experimenting.  Before
retiring I did managed to install X2GO. However, I'm running the server
and clients in virtual machines and in order not to confuse issues I
restored a snapshot of the fresh 'edubuntu install' before starting the
x2go installation.  Hence I've lost the NX build.

Not to worry though as the same problem seems to have arisen with the x2go connetions.
Seem it might be something to do with my server build?
I ran the epoptes command as you requested and added a few more permutations and commands:-

I have three users on the server that I might use

Root
charlie (the sudo user named at install)
user1    (a test user)

If I login at the server console as charlie and run the command: 'ps axu|grep -i epoptes'  in a terminal
I get the following:

---------------------------------

root  /usr/bin/python /usr/bin/twistd --pidfile /var/run/epoptes.pid
--logfile /var/log/epoptes.log epoptes

------------------------------------

If I then su to root (sudo su - )  and run the epoptes command I get:

---------------------------------

"user root must be a member of group epoptes to run epoptes".

------------------------------------

If the run the epoptes command as charlie the Epoptes gui pops up, Theres is no message in the terminal window.

A 'ps axu' shows the addition of:

-----------------------------

charlie  /usr/bin/python /usr/bin/epoptes

-----------------------------

If I issue a (xhost +) and (su - user1) followed by the 'epoptes' command.
The epoptes gui again pops up and a 'ps axu' shows:

root  /usr/bin/python /usr/bin/twistd --pidfile /var/run/epoptes.pid --logfile /var/log/epoptes.log epoptes
charlie  /usr/bin/python /usr/bin/epoptes
user1    /usr/bin/python /usr/bin/epoptes

So I now have two epoptes gui's running on my console's desktop.

I now start a thin client connecting via edubuntu/ltsp/pxe.
The thin client shows up in the epoptes gui started under user 'charlie' but not in the one started under user 'user1'.

Each of the terminals from which epoptes gui's were stared shows a
correspondingly different message.

Charlie terminal message:-
New connection from 127.0.0.1:45698
addClient's been called for 127.0.0:45698
Continuing inside addClient...
* This client is a new one, creating an instance
* I am a user client, will add user1 in my list

user1 terminal message:-
New connection from 127.0.0.1:45698
addClient's been called for 127.0.0:45698
* Won't add this client to my lists

ps axu now shows:
root  /usr/bin/python /usr/bin/twistd --pidfile /var/run/epoptes.pid --logfile /var/log/epoptes.log epoptes
charlie  /usr/bin/python /usr/bin/epoptes
user1    /usr/bin/python /usr/bin/epoptes
user1   epoptes-client
user1    socat openssl-connect:localhost:789,cafile=/etc/epoptes/server.crt,interval=60,forever EXEC:bash -c \"exec -a epoptes-client sh\"

If I now connect from a different client using x2go it doens't show up in either of the epoptes gui's.
and the output from 'ps axu|grep epoptes' is unchanged.

If I open a terminal on the x2go desktop and run the 'epoptes' command  the epoptes gui pops.
The message in the terminal windows says:

Got clients: 127.0.0.1:46300
----
**addClient's been called for 127.0.0.1:46300
* Won't add this client to my lists

Any advice gratefully received.

Epoptes Developers, which is an answer contact for Epoptes.