epoptes team mailing list archive

Re: [Question #284584]: First-time Epoptes User (How do I set this thing up?)

Question #284584 on Epoptes changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/epoptes/+question/284584

Alkis Georgopoulos proposed the following answer:
Hi,

so basically the question is, how do I tell one computer (client) to "see" another computer (server) under Linux.
Since there are many many ways to do that, it's not really an epoptes question, one can find a lot of good and extensive answers about that in google.

Nevertheless, let me sum up a few of the most common answers here:

1) Use a DNS server, e.g. dnsmasq. OK, say you don't have that, let's go
to the next option.

2) Use a static IP for the epoptes server. There's an easy part and a hard part in this.
The easy part is using network manager to assign a static IP to your epoptes server.
The hard part is going to your router's web interface to make sure that this static IP is outside of its DHCP pool.
If you do use a static IP for the epoptes server, then you'd run this in a terminal on each client:
sudo nano /etc/hosts
and you'd put the following there, replacing "1.2.3.4" with your server's IP:
1.2.3.4 server
Note that you should not put the epoptes server hostname in that file, you should put the word "server", as epoptes-client searches this name by default.

3) So let's go to the third and easier option.
Windows computers automatically "see" each other with a protocol named WINS. Ooops, we don't have that, we're in Linux.
Linux does have something similar though, it's called "avahi" (in MacOS the same thing is called "zeroconf").
Without going into details, if your epoptes PC is called "epoptes-server", then all the clients see that with avahi as "epoptes-server.local", with a .local appended at the end of the hostname.
That means that if you have the server and a client booted, you can do this from a terminal on the client:
ping epoptes-server.local
If this works, then put that name in /etc/default/epoptes-client. On each client, run:
sudo nano /etc/default/epoptes-client
and replace the line that says
#SERVER=server
with
SERVER=epoptes-server.local

After you do (2) or (3), you should also fetch the epoptes certificate on each client:
sudo epoptes-client -c
And then you should restart the client:
sudo reboot

Hope this helps! :)

--
You received this question notification because your team Epoptes
Developers is an answer contact for Epoptes.