Re: Re: FEniCS

On Mon, Sep 26, 2005 at 01:10:37PM -0500, Robert C. Kirby wrote:

> >My point on this is that it is easier to create new standards with
> >small, flexible components with limited scope. (Which does not mean we
> >can't bundle things and distribute as a whole.) FIAT is one good
> >example of this.
> >
> >Maybe (probably) we won't be able create one big system that everyone
> >uses, but some of the components we develop in the process may well
> >become standard and it's difficult to say at first which components
> >will gain acceptance.
> >

> But by whatever definition of "standard" we use, we need to have
> those small flexible components and/or a system be adopted by a
> signficant user base outside of our immediate circles.  These means
> actively seeking out users and peddling our wares to high-impact
> application groups.  Setting a standard is an active, outward
> reaching activity.  I'm saying we can't just be passive and hope
> people come to us and see the light.

I agree. One example of this is FEniCS'05 coming up in a couple of
weeks, but we could/should do more.

Another comment I would like to make is that the level of outward
reaching activity needs to match the maturity of the code that we're
pushing. If we take FFC/DOLFIN as an example, it has only recently
stabilized to the point where it can be used by others than the small
group of developers. We're currently working hard on putting together
manuals for both FFC and DOLFIN and they should be ready for the
meeting.

/Anders