Re: Re: FEniCS

My point on this is that it is easier to create new standards with
small, flexible components with limited scope. (Which does not mean we
can't bundle things and distribute as a whole.) FIAT is one good
example of this.

Maybe (probably) we won't be able create one big system that everyone
uses, but some of the components we develop in the process may well
become standard and it's difficult to say at first which components
will gain acceptance.

But by whatever definition of "standard" we use, we need to have those small flexible components and/or a system be adopted by a signficant user base outside of our immediate circles. These means actively seeking out users and peddling our wares to high-impact application groups. Setting a standard is an active, outward reaching activity. I'm saying we can't just be passive and hope people come to us and see the light.

Rob Kirby

"Mathematical software should be mathematical."